Hello guys, thank you for reading by blog.
This week I am sharing with you a flavorsome and yummy dish. It doesn’t take much time to make this and ingredients required is something that is readily available in all Indian kitchens.
One quick tip: for this recipe please use fresh and purple shaded brinjals. Basically this dish a side for rice, roti or Briyani.
Let’s see what do we need to start cooking
- Brinjal – 5 to 6 No’s
- Tomato – one large
- Red Onions – 2 medium sized
- Garlic – 5 – 6 pods
- Dry Red chilly – 3
- Tamarind paste – 1 table spoon
- Jaggery – 1 tea spoon ( optional )
- Cumin seeds – 1 tea spoon
- Mustard seeds – 1 tea spoon
- Turmeric powder – 1 tea spoon
- Fenugreek seeds – 1/2 tea spoon
- Daniya powder – tea spoon
- Sambar powder – 1 table spoon
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Curry leaves a handful
- Cilantro leaves and grated coconut for garnish
Pre – preparation
- Chop the brinjal length wise and put them in a water with turmeric powder to prevent it from turning black
- Peel onions and garlic and chop them length wise finely
- Pick ripped tomato and chop it lengthwise finely
- Take a thick bottom pan and heat oil for shallow frying, add the chopped brinjal to it and fry until they are half done.
- Remove the brinjal from the pan, and prepare tempering by adding mustard seeds and let it splatter. Then add cumin seeds, dry red chilly, fenugreek seeds, asafoetida and turmeric powder. Fry this for 2 minutes.
- Now add curry leaves, onions and fry until onions are translucent. Add the chopped garlic at this stage (as garlic cooks fast) followed by tomatoes. Cook until tomatoes are soft and mushy.
- Add salt to speed up the cooking process, add coriander and sambar powder, if required add half of glass of water to help the veggies cook.
- Once the vegetables are cooked add tamarind paste, Jagger and pre cooked brinjal. Bring this mixture to boil by adding water if required. Taste and adjust the seasoning at this stage.
- Finally before removing it from the heat garnish it with cilantro leaves and grated coconut.
Here you go, spicy and flavorsome curry is ready. It takes around 20 minutes to make this curry. Something to look forward to after a long hard day.