Jackfruit is one of the exotic fruits you can find in the southern part of India. This fruit can be used in various forms, you can eat it as it is or make a dessert or savoury dishes out of it. Today I will be sharing with you a recipe for fried patties – a savoury snack made from the seeds of jackfruit.
Vegans prefer this fruit, mainly for carbs and also for the texture. The fruit texture is similar to that of shredded meat. Additionally, one can, in fact, eat the seeds of a jackfruit. They can be used in curries and snacks. Let’s see a simple and easy snack recipe from jackfruit seeds.
Time to prepare: 25 – 30 minutes
Things to gather
1. A big bowl of peeled and boiled jackfruit seeds
2. Rice flour – 1/2 cup
3. Red onions – 1 medium size
4. Green chillies – 5 to 6 numbers
5. Cilantro leaves – a handful
6. Curry leaves – 1/4 cup
7. Ginger – 1/2 inch
8. Jeera – 1/2 tablespoon
9. Salt for taste
Pre – preparation
1. Peel the skin of jackfruit seeds and pressure cook it for two whistles.
2. Strain the cooled jackfruit seeds. Do not discard the water, save it for later use
3. Grind the boiled jackfruit seeds along with 4 green chillies in a blender into a smooth paste. Add the same water used for cooking the jackfruit if necessary.
4. Wash and peel onions, ginger. Chop the onions, cilantro, remaining green chillies and curry leaves finely. Grate the ginger and keep this aside.
1. Take a mixing bowl, transfer the ground jackfruit seed paste to it.
2. Add chopped onions, green chillies and herbs to it along with grated ginger.
3. Now add salt as per your taste and rice flour for binding. Rice flour gives the vada crispiness and also helps in bonding the mixture for easy frying.
4. Meanwhile in a tawa heat oil for frying the vada.
5. Mix all the ingredients well, taste and adjust the seasoning.
6. Finally, make round mediums sized patties of the mixture and deep fry itfor crispy and yummy jackfruit seed vada.
7. Serve it hot with tea and tomato sauce on the side.